Monday, March 8, 2010

The inspiration of women

I'm not really sure where the time has gone, but it is now March and I'm getting ready to head into a new decade. It has changed me and caused me to reflect. I have been trying to think about the people who are in and have been a part of my life who have impacted my behavior and decisions. Making the move to Immanuel almost eight years ago was the best decision that I have made. My heart rejoices with the people that only God could place into my life at just the right moment and time. I would like to share about these people without names but these women have truly blessed me.
Back in college, I thought that I was "the stuff" and was so full of myself that it makes me laugh out loud at my ridiculous nature. I met J and she was different...not different in a bad way just didn't buy into every day activities. I was intrigued. She went to church like 3 times a week and was genuinely happy and liked going. I went dutifully every Saturday or Sunday because it was something that I had always done, but not really something that mattered to me. Well, she invited me to her church and the HS was obviously at work in my heart because I accepted the Lord. Throughout the years, we have had some distance because of my issues, but she accepted me back into a friendship and we have been close friends ever since. I can ask her to pray and know that she will do exactly that.
I also have a hugger friend - J. She is sweet and kind and just a nice person to be around to everyone. Whenever I see her she always comes over for a hug which is funny because I am not a huggy person but she draws me in. It amazes me that God knows that I need this hug even when I don't. She also was with a group of people to come to my house the night my father died. To come to someone's home on a night that is difficult and emotional and hard but to come and pray was monumental in my world.
My friend S helps me see out of the box. She is deep and reflective and asks the most amazing questions to direct my thoughts. The older I get the more convinced I am that I have adult-onset ADD. :) She is game for road trips and intimate thoughts and sorrows and doesn't judge or ridicule. She is funny and witty and a good person to focus the conversation back to scripture. I am in awe that God placed this person in my life with her unique gifts and talents.
I have a very special e-mail friend who makes me laugh during long days at school. She knows so much about my needs and the trials of my family and is trustworthy. I will always remember the Sunday after my mom's funeral, I came to church and she was the first person to hug me and I felt okay. She is funny and makes me giggle at work with her antics. C is an encouragement to my always.
My final story is about a person with whom I can share anything and be myself at all times. I don't feel awkward when I ask for help or just need moments of her time. She called me on a Sunday afternoon after I had driven by Immanuel for several weeks on Sunday mornings. She invited me to come back to the evening service and I did and that day began my journey (with God opening His arms to welcome me back). She has become a part of my family's life and shows my sons love and encouragement. She knows my flaws and points them out, on occassion. V also knows my strengths and pushes me to use them for God's glory.

There are so many others with whom I have a special memory. My first Barakel retreat when I was very nervous and way out of my comfort zone and the gals enveloped me. My singing friend L who continues to make me smile when I think of our lack of singing abilities. These women have become a part of my fabric and have helped create me into the woman that God has in mind for me. I may not always listen and I may speak out a little too quickly but I am always watching and learning from the women around me. Thank you. You help me grow and develop and I thank God for you all.

7 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

This is a great post! How neat to see how God has used so many women in your life!

Kara said...

Chris, this was beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Phil Luter said...

I am glad that you have found a home at Immanuel where others build you up (edify) in the biblical way. We all care very much for you and pray often for you. The Christian life is not always easy, but it is always worth it. By the way, we are planning a backpacking trip on the Coastal Trail in Lake Superior Provencial Park the last week of July. Be there.

Laura Wells said...

So great to see how God has used friends to shape you and comfort you. Friendship must be the week's theme as it was the topic of conversation at MOPS too.

Chris said...

Very cool post. Sometimes it's hard to share feelings like this, but it's cool that you have people in your life that have come along side you and helped you grow in the Lord.

Pam said...

I loved this post! I have read it through many times now and I honestly get a little teary when I read it. Christian woman friends are priceless and I am so grateful that you have found some wonderful women to share in your life.

Chartered Libertine said...

hello... :)