Monday, December 22, 2008

Merry Christmas

My mom got this ornament for me after I had my first teaching job at B.V. She knew that my heart was for helping these kids to succeed. This is on our upstairs tree.
Kaleb's face on this ornament makes me smile because Mr. Grumpy pants is actually smiling, happy and full of joy.
Trevor made this wonderful angel that is our tree topper out of paper plates. Simple and yet sparkly too.
The painted Santa Claus is my favorite though because my mom painted it the year that I was born. Now, she was not crafty at all and would never admit to a paint by number, but I still smile when I think of all the jokes she would endure every year as she put up her painting.
SNOW DAYS AND VACATION
Merry Christmas everyone. Friday, I thought it was wonderful to be stuck at home - a snow day! Saturday was good as I got to leave the house and get milk, bread, the basics ya know. Sunday, another blast from old man winter had us with drifts up to our hips. Kraig got the snow plow truck stuck and he had to go to the job site to get his "heavy equipment" to dig out the plow truck and move the snow. Basically, Kraig had a wonderful day playing in his equipment. The boys made it outside for like 10 minutes and we stayed home as the wind howled around our home. I thought of you all as we missed the musicale.

Cathy waited very patiently and asked for pictures of any special ornaments or keepsakes. (The window is next to our tree and the camera wouldn't take a good picture. So, imagine something wonderful!) Christmas was my mother's favorite holiday and she used to deck out our house. So, I have 2 or 3 boxes filled with ornaments in the crawl space. I was the one who always had to help put the ornaments up and then put them back away (Half a day, at least). Yikes...I don't think there was a single branch that did not have an ornament on it. Sooooo, long story short, my trees are simple and anything that the boys want to put up, they can. I like a simple tree with just the lights. I have other things that I put up that remind me of "mom memories" because the thousands of ornaments and the Department 56 houses are definitely not my thing.

4 comments:

The Speer's said...

Merry Christmas. I hope you enjoyed your day.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I really enjoyed your thoughts and precious pictures. You are making more memories, just like your Mom did - and your doing it with a houseful of boys! Sounds like you are much like your Mom was. She sure raised a good one! Thank you Chris for sharing with us. ~Cathy

Amanda Irene said...

I hear you on the 56 houses.

Love that the kids can put whatever on the tree. Thats a good idea, it brings down the stress.

Pam said...

Chris I love the ornaments. Kid stuff os so great! The kids decorate our tree each year. I really don't care what goes on and where. Just so they like it and it is special to them.
You're a great mom just like your mom was. Trevor and Kaleb are blessed and not just cuz you don't have dept. 56 houses ;)