Thursday, December 11, 2008

The update

Oh dear...what to write about. Hmmm, it's hard when life seems to be speeding by and I am just holding on by the skin of my teeth (except at school). The school days are going by exceptionally slow. These are the things that I hear from someone at least once an hour. "Ms. Klein, why we gotta do work every day?" "Ms. Klein, ain't you tired of teachin' yet?" "Ms. Klein, are we doing anything today?" "All we ever do is work, work, work." and the best statement is (drumroll please) "We don't have homework in anyone else's class!"

Do you know what it's like to hear the refrain of a child saying mom about 15 times in a row to get your attention? You know, the time when you are in the middle something that is actually important? The questions that aren't really questions but are those small notions of someone needing attention? That's what I get every day, and on most days, every hour! It is exhausting.

So, I've been pulling fast ones on the students and today after I heard the "work, work, work" comment, I said very quietly, "Bow to your sensei." I had the attention of a few...and then I used my best yell across the gym voice and repeated..."Bow to your sensei!"

It i s from a movie and only 1 student "got it" and laughed. I spent at least five minutes talking about Napolean Dynomite and still only 5 of my students had even seen the movie. However, after giggling with my one student after class, I had a smile for the rest of the day. Bring on those ridiculous questions. I am sensei, do my work!

4 comments:

Kara said...

Any day you can use a line from Napoleon is a good day. I have heard that Kelly Sams can do the entire dance that Napoleon does at the end of the movie. I would give just about anything to see that.

Amanda Irene said...

sensi yes mam!!

Alright I have not seen the movie I will admit that.

So what i hear you saying chris is that "why" never ends! When we say to our kids Get off your brothers head and the child says why? Your saying this just keeps on!! I just about what to go through the roof!!

Anonymous said...

Chris,
I'd like to see your tree & decorations. Any favorite ornaments?? Let's see! Let's see!
~Cathy

Anonymous said...

Waiting.