Friday, January 16, 2009

Just one of those days


Ever have one of those days? You know, it starts out wonderfully...school cancelled because the temperatures are too cold, so you get to sleep in unexpectedly kind of days? It started out so well. I keep asking myself what happened.


I went to college, I should know how to read the information on a computer screen at the post office, right? The postal lady was making me feel very uncomfortable and telling me which buttons to push, but I wanted to read the screen. First big mistake! I had to do it all twice because I pressed cancel instead of something else. Then, I put the stamp on the envelope and didn't realize that it was a sticker stamp but only the inside part was supposed to stick on the envelope. I felt like a big dork as I stood there trying to peel off the rest of the sticker. I think that I was actually talking to myself by this time and in walks Cathy making jokes at my expense. I may never be the same again. Actually, I don't think that I have been normal in a while now! :)


The boys and I went grocery shopping and I gave the boys coupons to go and find the specific items thinking that it would be faster. What was I thinking? I wonder that too. Even though most coupons have pictures, the boys didn't read about the specific size requirements and we spent a good ten minutes going back through the store getting the right sizes so that we could use the the coupons. I did save over $13 though!


We came home and had lunch and then Trevor tried to open a box with a pair of scissors. Bad idea. He screamed, Kaleb screamed, Trevor cried, Kaleb cried for him and then we loaded up and went to Med Express. Needless to say, Trevor is now the proud recipient of two stitches in his thumb. He cut himself right on the knuckle so everytime he bent his thumb, blood would squirt out and my dramatic child would scream and then Kaleb would cry harder. Oh brother. Trevor really got the prince's treatment at Med Express because the nurses there took him in the room with Kaleb and just smothered him. It's his left thumb and he's right handed but his best question in the room was, "Mom, I just don't think that I'm going to be able to do any of my work for ten days. Are you going to let my teacher know?" I'm wasn't really sure how the left thumb was needed for schoolwork, so he told me that it holds down the paper so that he can write. So, now we're home and staying in for the evening while Kraig tries once again to fix his plow truck.

7 comments:

amber said...

Oh no! I was thinking about you this morning and how excited you must be for a snow day or cold day - whatever it's called! Hope the thumb is on the mend!

Anonymous said...

Good grief! I had no idea! When I saw you today, I was just teasing a little - if I had known how your day was going to end up I would have been a little easier on you!! By the way, the girl got me to do that machine once and by the time I got done everyone that was in the line with me was gone, even the ones behind me - faster, not always!!! I tried to do it on my own once and again realized the line was moving along faster.
Sorry about the accident, trust he mends real soon and hope it doesn't throb tonight. Hope the rest of your weekend and Monday are better for you all. ~Cathy

Phil Luter said...

Only 739 stitches to go and he will catch up with me during my childhood. Maybe this is a good time to come up with another good joke.

Pam said...

What a day! Poor Trevor. I hope he regains his excitement over his Legos. We love Legos here, although Evan has decided they look like a pile of snacks :)
Hope your Saturday is more enjoyable.
Do you all have school on Monday?

chris k said...

Pam - no school for me, but the boys are in school. Hooray for a day to clean and organize all by myself.

Laura Wells said...

I've had one of those days. And it's awful, but thanks for sharing the story. I laughed. Hopefully today was better. And yea that you aren't a first or second year teacher!

Kara said...

Oh I've had more than one irritating run-in with a postal employee. Sheesh.

I'll pray that Trevor mends quickly! Life with boys, I tell ya.