Wednesday, June 25, 2008

How we met!


I had just graduated from college and was coaching the varsity volleyball team at Nouvel while subbing at Saginaw High. That year, I had an assistant coach who kept telling me about her brother and that I should definitely meet him. Right...you know that I certainly did not hop on that band wagon. I was still keeping a college "friend" around and wasn't interested in another guy because I was getting out of Dodge! Well, she made his family come to one of the games at Nouvel and I had to be polite and meet her family. He was okay looking but he had a moustache and tight 80's jeans on. Definitely not what I was looking for and he was not a teacher. Well, he called me one night and asked me to go to a Christmas party (in January) at the Germania. I didn't think that it could be too bad, so I told him that I would go.

He was almost two hours late!!!! My parents wanted to meet this guy and after an hour, my mom laughed and said dump this guy. He was late from work, had to get flowers, and used his sister's car so that I wouldn't have to get into his work truck. At least it was a good excuse. Despite the two hour lateness of his arrival, I had lots of fun. We continued to date throughout the rest of the winter. I was getting bored with this one though until he said, "I'm not looking for a girlfriend, I'm looking for a wife." Ooh, he was serious. I struggled for a while trying to figure out if I was ready to be this serious and did I even want to stay in Saginaw. Well, I got a teaching job at Buena Vista HS, we went out for dinner to celebrate and I thought that this guy has potential. He wasn't a teacher, but he had a job! A job that paid a decent wage and he was a hard worker. Little did I know that the hard worker in him would also be his worst quality. He loves to work!

By the fall of 1993, we were inseperable and in early October, he came to my apartment for dinner. I can't tell you much about the dinner because by the time we actually sat down to eat it, it was blackened and shouldn't have been. Looking back, he seemed very nervous and spent a long time in the bathroom...he came out, finally, and did the whole one knee proposal and I accepted. We were married on July 9, 1994 on a hot and muggy day filled with mosquitoes! It will be fourteen years this July and it has not been dull. We have gone through tight financial times to pay off his shop, the deaths of both of my parents and our grandparents, job changes, kids, and even a few health issues. However, we made it through and Lord willing, we will continue this rollercoaster ride for a while longer.

9 comments:

amber said...

I love reading your story! And the bow - it is quite amazing!

Jen said...

How great to read your story! :)

Kara said...

I knew that would be a good one. Did you always want two children? That's what I always thought I would have.

Pam said...

It was a good story. You and Kraig are great together. I love these stories....so fun!

chris k said...

Kara - I thought that I would have at least 3! Kraig kept saying two's enough, two's enough and then a year or two ago said we should have had another! I thought I was going to smack him. :)

Sarah Glupker said...

Not only a big bow, but.....PUFFED Sleeves! Despite the fashion faux pas, you were a beautiful bride.

chris k said...

Sarah, they were not puffed sleeves, they were stuffed sleeves. It is still in a box if you want to wear it one day down your street or riding your bike. The sleeves might slow you down though and without the bow, no wind resistance...maybe not a good idea.

Amanda Irene said...

Caseys tapping me on the shoulder.....kinda hard geesh. I have to be quick. He is saying good night! as in coooommmme OOONNN! But, I'll be back. I have waited forever for this post!!! Amber still needs to post hers!!! Loved it! We have mesquitos in common (though I can't spell). :) I'll be back!!

Jenny LaBo said...

Nice bow. Nice.
Great story!!!!