Friday, August 1, 2008

Camp Invention

The boys just finished their last day at Camp Invention. They learned about inventions, patents, trying new ideas out, and how to work collaboratively in a team. I was slightly concerned about Kaleb wondering if he would like it after his day long ranting of I donwanna go! However, both kids had a great time and found some friends. They both received t-shirts and patent certificates.
Kaleb and Gabriel made the silver viking ship to the right of the Big Gulp cup. It was able to sail through the stormy seas and make it to the other side of the ocean to get the gold coins. Hooray!

In the Superhero Module, Kaleb's superhero did not resemble this guy at all...but they could only use recycled materials because they were saving the environment.
This is Trevor's superhero...Snakeman something. He created a wonderful little story about all of the superhuman powers that this snake had. That's right, Trevor was writing and even enjoyed it. Hmmm...could it be that there were no worksheets? :)


This is Trevor's invention - the Laughbot 3000. This wonderful invention was created to get a laugh out of his crabby brother. Who would have thought that an old VCR, egg cartons, a slinky, and some duct tape could be magically transformed?

Kaleb's group created a machine that had to catapolt an egg across the hallway. Everything worked until the ball went through and wasn't heavy enough to hit the catapolt to throw the egg. A kid stepped on the system and the egg flew across the hallway and splattered on the wall.
If there is ever a Camp Invention in town again next summer, I highly recommend that you send your child. I saw a ton of enthusiasm with all of the hands-on activities and total participation by the kids.





11 comments:

Amanda Irene said...

my eyes glazed over just hearing the word worksheets.

its nice to see what i have to look forward to when my kids are older.

Kara said...

I can totally see Adam into this sort of thing. Your boys are so cute AND smart!

I'm still laughing at Amanda's comment. :)

Pam said...

James would LOVE that!!! Where was it at? How long was it? I'd spend a week in Saginaw next year if they have it. James would love it that much!!

The Speer's said...

Looks like they had alot of fun. Hopefully they got along most of the time. Did you like the camp grounds you went to? Do they have things for the kids to do?

chris k said...

I actually think that any kid would love it. It is a week long camp that Saginaw Public Schools puts on and they have scholarship money, too! The regular tuition is like $200 or something and with the tuition, the boys went for $50 total!!! This is definitely worth a trip to Saginaw for the week.

chris k said...

Becky...we went to Young State Park in Boyne City last week. There are lots of things for kids to do - even the ages of your guys.

The Speer's said...

Thanks Chris I'm thinking of going for two weeks and I wanted to make sure there were things for the kids to keep them busy and not bored so I can enjoy my vacation to.

TraceyLD said...

Looks like the guys had a great time! Some pretty neat things they made.
So what did you create during your quiet house without them? Did you work on your scrapbook?

chris k said...

Tracey, how did you know that I worked on a scrapbook? HAHAHA!! I went to the dentist and the doctor and cleaned my house and cleaned the camper and went shopping and completed all of the laundry. That is, completed it until everyone took their clothes off to put on new clothes.

TraceyLD said...

I've had the laudry all caught up a few times this summer. I was tempted to take a picture of the laudry baskets empty but thought maybe that was a little too much.
It last for such a short period of time. I think we should be nudist! Just kidding!

Sarah Glupker said...

Trevor--

PRomise me I get to experience the Laugh Bot. Tell me you don't charge to see your invention; Or, if I don't laugh, do I get a refund?? NO, I'm just kidding. You'll probably have me laughing in no time..

Sarah